'Black Ops' Unified: Middle Eastern Lamb Pie
Date Posted:7 October 2015
Unified in flavours, we've chosen a Middle Eastern Lamb Pie with Mary's 'Mumbo Jumbo' Dukkah. Hints of spice reflect the Shiraz, the lamb meets the brooding Mataro and the exotic notes of the dukkah match those of the Saperavi.
2 sheets of shortcrust pastry
1 zucchini (grated)
2 sweet potatoes (grated)
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1 brown onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Harissa seasoning
1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning
1/2 teaspoon paprika
300 g lamb mince (for vegetarian option, substitute with 300g grated vegetables)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
3 tablespoons of ‘Mary’s Mumbo Jumbo’ Egyptian Dukkah
Drink With: 'Black Ops' 2013 Shiraz Mataro Saperavi - A spicy, smoky amalgamation of the a 'brotherhood' of grapes
1) Preheat over to 180 degrees celcius and overlap two sheets of pastry on a tray with baking paper. Set aside.
2) Squeeze excess moisture from zucchini.
3) Combine zucchini, sweet potato, coriander, onion, spices, tomato paste and mince in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture, in a thin layer, over half of the pastry, fold the extra pastry edge over filling and tuck in.
5) Brush pastry with egg. Sprinkle liberally with ‘Mary’s Mumbo Jumbo’ Egyptian Dukkah and bake until pastry is golden and filling is cooked through (approx. 30 – 45 mins).
6) Serve with a glass of ‘Black Ops’ and a garden salad