'The Rascal' goes Vego: Spicy Eggplant Lasagna
Date Posted:10 August 2016
• 3 eggplants
• 1 tbsp ‘Hugh's Vestal Virgin’ olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 400g can of diced tomatoes
• 3 tbsp ‘Hugh’s Hot Headed’ Chutney
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 300g low-fat ricotta cheese
• A good pinch nutmeg and sugar
• 1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped
• 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Slice eggplant into 1cm-thick rounds. Drizzle with ‘Hugh's Vestal Virgin’ olive oil and roast for 20 minutes,turning after 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until light golden. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and 3 tablespoons ‘Hugh’s Hot Headed’ and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in balsamic vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper.
3. Combine ricotta, nutmeg, basil and salt and pepper in a bowl.
4. Grease a 6cm deep, 20cm square ovenproof dish. Arrange a layer of eggplant over base. Spread a third of the tomato sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle half the ricotta mixture over tomato sauce. Repeat again and finish with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with a glass of 'The Rascal' Shiraz